It is not what it looks like.
Though my eyes see and my ears hear… my heart knows.
It knows that I can trust and depend on the word of the Lord.
Can we agree parenting at times can become difficult or discouraging?
Let’s get more specific… parenting teenagers is absolutely arduous.
Can I get an amen somebody?!
I believe we should all take an extended pause and call our parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle, or whomever raised you during your teenage years and say…
“I apologize, please forgive me.”
Often we hear the words “children don’t come with a manual.” Would you be surprised if I told you that there’s a manual out there? In fact, it comes in several sizes, fonts, and translations to fit your preference.
That’s right, the Bible.
The Bible is a trusted parenting manual and I firmly believe as we search the scriptures , we will find instructions on how to parent our children, as well as how to remain encouraged and joyful while doing so.
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4 ESV
- We must ensure that we are not provoking our children to anger but training them in what the Bible says and giving them instruction on how to apply it to their lives.
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 KJV
- I believe this to be a promise to parents. Just as I remind my children that God is a promise keeper, I have to remind myself. Especially when my eyes and my ears bring despair, rather than delight.
Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit— you choose.
Proverbs 18:21 MSG
- No matter our children’s behavior, we must choose to speak words of life over them and to them. Under no circumstance must we speak words that will produce death or defeat in our children’s lives. Our words are powerful and must be chosen carefully.
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope. Psalm 130:5 ESV
- There is hope when we trust and believe in God’s word. We can live joyfully, knowing that our hope is not based on what our children do or don’t do but it’s based solely on the promises found in the Bible. When we find ourselves becoming discouraged we must quickly turn to our manual for encouragement.
For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God. Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Sprit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
2 Corinthians 1:20-22 NIV
- I remind you dear friend, it is not what it looks like BUT it will be what God has promised. Parent with joy and may your heart be encouraged, for our God loves us enough to provide us with a manual. Read, Apply, Repeat.
In His precious name,